Sunday, January 22, 2012

CHRISTMAS EVE AT FRIDAY HARBOR by Lisa Kleypas




CHRISTMAS EVE AT FRIDAY HARBOR (Friday Harbor #1) by Lisa Kleypas


Hardcover, 211 pages
Published October 26th 2010 by St. Martin's Press 
Genre: contemporary romance novella
Rating: 4 stars
 
For as much as I love Lisa Kleypas’ novels, and when I say “ love” I mean that among her works there are some of my all-time favorite, I hate to say that Christmas Eve At Friday Harbor was slightly below my expectations.
I am particularly fond of her historical romance novels and skeptical about contemporary romance novels in general. But when I read her latest Rainshadow Road (my first Kleypas contemporary), I was so surprisingly pleased with it that I decided to go back and read the first installment in the Friday Harbor series, expecting it to be at least as good as the second one.
Despite the great potential provided by the interesting characters and the romantic setting , CEAFH falls short of everything that usually makes LK novels so riveting and appealing: the storyline seems to be underdeveloped and rushed at the end, the romantic tension is lacking, the characters too tame…
I gave CEAFH 4 stars anyway, in light of what it could have been: the premises for a heart-wrenching romance a la Kleypas were there…let’s say it was an appetizer for some great new books to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment